Florida East Coast
By WWII, FEC motive power on mainline trains was 4-8-2 mountain class engines. In 1915 the first oil burning engines were placed in service and by the 1920ís oil replaced all coal. A list of engines after 1939 is as follows;
Pacific Class 4-6-2
Local Passenger service
#96 Built by Schenectady in 1911, sold 1941 to G&F RR
#147-150 Built by Richmond 1920, #147 sold 1952, #148 sold US Sugar 1952, #149 sold G&F RR 1941. #150 sold AN RR 1941.
#151-153, 155-157 Built by Schenectady 1922, #151&152 sold AN RR 1942 &1941, #153 sold US Sugar 1940 (Gold Coast Museum), #155 sold AN RR 1942, #156 sold G&F RR 1941, #157 sold CN&L RR 1941.
Switchers 0-6-0 & 0-8-0
0-6-0 #158-160 Built by Schenectady 1922, renumbered 207-209.
0-6-0 #210-214 Built by Richmond 1924, #210 sold 1952 to West India Fruit and Steamship Co., #211-214 sold 1941 to G&F RR.
0-8-0 #256-263, 266, 268-279, Built by Richmond 1925-26, #256-263 sold for scrap 1954-55, #266, 270, 272, 273 sold for scrap 1955, #268, 269, 271, 274-279 remained until the last year of steam service in Bowden Yard 1958. These engines rusted away by the roundhouse in Bowden Yard into the early1960ís.
Mountain Class 4-8-2
#301-315 Built by Richmond 1923, used in general freight service, #301-303, & 306 sold for scarp in 1954, #304-305, 307-309, 311-315 sold NdeM 1941, #310 destroyed 1945.
#421-452 Built by Schenectady 1924-25, used in passenger service, #421-422, 425-427, 429, 433-434, 441-452 sold NdeM 1945, #423-424, 428, 430, 435-440 sold for scrap 1954-55, #431 destroyed 1947, 432 destroyed 1949.
#801-823 Built by Schenectady 1926, freight service (with Steam lines for Passenger), #802 destroyed 1940, #813 destroyed 1952, #815 destroyed 1951, all remaining engines sold for scrap 1954-55.
Mikado Class 2-8-2
Local Freight Service#701-715 Built by Schenectady 1925, all sold for scrap 1955
Our Example of the 0-8-0 is a custom brass Tenshodo:
In 1939 Florida East Coast went joint with the Atlantic Coast Line in creating the new reserved seat all coach streamline East Coast Champion between New York and Miami. ACL purchased 2 sets of the seven-car train and FEC ordered 2. While it took 3 sets to complete the daily service, FEC used its second set as Jacksonville-Miami Henry M. Flagler. In the early years the Locomotives ran with the complete sets from Washington to Miami. As more diesels were purchased the FEC units could be found as far as Washington along with ACL units in Miami on the FEC rails. As more units arrived in the late 40ís ACL units came off in Jacksonville and FEC took control on their home rails.
EMC delivered FECís first diesel locomotives, 2 E3Aís in 1939. Number 1001 was placed on the Henry M. Flagler, and the 1002 in East Coast Champion Service.
In 1940 FEC took order for its first E6A built by EMD. Number 1003, and 2 more in 1942 numbered 1004 & 1005 arrived along with E6B number 1051.
In 1945 FEC received the E7A. These units were numbered-1006 thru 1022 along with E7B units 1052-1054.
In 1955 FEC received the Queen of the fleet. E9Aís numbered 1031 thru 1035.
The strike of 1963 placed all passenger units out of service until the re-instatement of the local Jax-Miami three and later two car consist using a single E9 from August 1965 until the last run on July 31st 1968.The first unit to be retired was E3A #1001 in 1960 at Miller Shop for parts. The 1003 & 1004 were dismantled for parts in 1962. All remaining units sold between 1966 and 1968. The five E9Aís and E7A 1011 were in service when retired in 1968. FEC did try using E units in freight service but found to be ďslipperyĒ and overheating due to high gear ratio.
Our examples of the E3/E6 are out of the box Proto 2000.
Our examples of the E7 A and B are out of the box Proto 2000.
Our examples of the Blue E7 A is a custom Model Power.
Our examples of the E9 A is a out of the box Proto 2000.
Our examples of the Blue E9 is a custom Model Power.
Florida East Coast began replacing steam in freight service in 1948 when they purchased EMDís new BL2. These rare units were bought for branch line service and later roamed into through freights on occasion as trailing units. All FEC diesel units wore the Red and Yellow scheme until the late 1950ís when a few simplified variations were tried by eliminating the frame strips on the switchers and GP 7 & 9ís with black and then replacing the lower red with all yellow. In 1960, solid blue was decided on when Mrs. Dupont suggested they wore the Florida State colors of Blue and Gold.
Our examples of the BL2 is a Custom Proto 2000.
Our Example of the F3 A and B are custom Athearn.
Our Example of the SW 9 and 12 are out of the box Proto 2000.
Our Example of the SW 9 and 12 are Custom Athearn.
Our Example of the GP7 is custom Athearn.
No units were purchased from 1957 until 1971 when the first ďsecond generation unitsĒ arrived.
GP 40 units 401-410 arrived in 1971.
GP 40-2 units 411-415 arrived in 1972, 416-418 in 1974. New units continued to be purchased through the last production of this model #434. FEC continued to purchase used GP40-2 and GP40-3 with units 445-451 equipped with dynamic brakes.GP38 units 501-504 purchased in 1977, 505-511 purchased in 1978.