Atlantic Coast Line

Steam Locomotives

PACIFICS

   Atlantic Coast Lines mild grades made the 4-6-2 Pacifics suitable for dual Passenger and Freight service. The mainline motive power between Richmond and Jacksonville were mainly the P5A for Passenger service, and the P5B for Freight. While the P5A and P5B were used in both services, but the P5B had 69 drivers while the P5A had 73.

   The Plant System received the roads first Pacific in 1902 second-hand from the Milwaukee Road. These locomotives were Class J numbered SF&W 104-106 built by Rhode Island Locomotive Works in 1893. The J class engines were later rebuilt into the K-13 class 4-6-0 in 1912 and renumbered 1287-1289. In 1911 Baldwin built 15 Class P locomotives for ACL numbered 260-274. 1912 saw the P-1 built also by Baldwin numbers 275-286.

    The first Pacifics were for Passenger service. In 1913 the first freight P-2 Pacific Nos. 287-297 to 400-410 then renumbered 2400-2410, delivered by Baldwin with 64 drivers. ACL received the first dual service Pacifics in 1914 with the P-3 built by Baldwin. Nos.411-455, later renumbered 2412-2455, these locomotives had 69 drivers. The P-4 class built by Baldwin arrived between 1916-1918 Nos. 456-482, these engines were very similar to the P-3s.

   The USRA class P-5 arrived in 1919 from the Richmond Plant of ALCO. Nos. 493-502 later renumbered as P-5-A 1500-1569 (1510-1569 new). Baldwins answer to this locomotive was the P-5-B built between 1922-1926 as Nos.1600-1764. Number 1708 & 1709 were equipped with Franklin trail boosters. Both the P-5-A & B were equipped with stokers, and tenders with coal pushers.

   In 1946 ACL received the AJ-1 Class Pacific from the AB&A (AB&C) merge, these locomotives were built by Schenectady for the Florida East Coast Railway in 1913 as 101-122, then AB&A 71-84, to ACL 7071-7084. The AJ-2 class also arrived at this time from the merge with these engines originally from the Great Northern Rwy. Nos. 1466 &1478, to AB&A 153 & 175, to ACL 7153 & 7175, built in 1914.

   All P class engines were retired between 1939-1944, P-1 class between 1939-1944, P-2 class between 1951-1953, P-3 between 1951-52, P-4 between 1949-1952, P-5-A between 1949-1952, P-5-B 1950-1952, AJ-1 between 1946-1955, AJ-2 1949-50.

   P-5-A 1504 is the only remaining Pacific. Located on display here in Jacksonvilles Prime Osborne Convention Center.

   Our example of a P-5-A is a customized Power House.

USRA P5 Pacific


Diesel Locomotives

EMC /EMD E UNITS

   Atlantic Coast Line was not to be outdone by rival Seaboards Silver Meteor. In 1939 ACL put its first all coach Streamline Champion in service between New York and Miami. The first diesels were EMC E3As numbers; 500 and 501.

    In 1940 ACL received EMC E6As number; 502 thru 512, and E6B units number 750-B & 751-B.  1941 received E6A 513 thru 515, & E6B numbers; 752-B & 753-B. 1942 ACL E6As 516 thru 523, and E6B # 754-B arrived.

   Toward the end of WWII EMD provided ACL with the new E7s. The first order arrived in 1945 with units number; 524 thru 531 As and B units; 755-B thru 764-B. In 1946 ACL received E7As number; 532 thru 537. The last E7As arrived in 1948 numbers; 538 thru 543. 

   In 1950 the E8As arrived. Units 544 thru 548 were the last new E units purchased, although ACL continued to buy used units form RF&P and Katy.

   In 1953 E3A 500 was wrecked and rebuilt into an E8A with the same number.

   In 1953 E7A 532 was wrecked and rebuilt into an E8A with the same number.

  Ex RF&P E8Bs purchased in 1965 numbers; 765-B & 766-B.

  Ex Katy E8As purchased in 1966 numbers; 549 thru 556.

  The E units provided the ACL into the SCL era; the first E3s number 500 was retired as an E8 in 1972 with the 501 remaining in Spencer NC Museum after being retired in 1972. Both units retained original numbers with SCL.

  All E6As remained in the SCL with original numbers. Units were retired between 1968 with the majority in 1970 and the last unit #502 in 1972. Only two E6Bs made the SCL roster; numbers 751-B to SCL 655-B & 753-B to SCL 656-B. The ACL units were retired in (750-B) 1965 and (752-B& 754-B) 1965. SCL retired 655-B in 1968, and 656-B in 1970.

  All E7As made the SCL except 524, wrecked and retired in 1962. The E7s kept their original numbers and were retired between 1968 and 1974 with the majority in 1972. The 532 was rebuilt as an E8 in 1953. The 543 was the last unit retired in 1974 after its lease to Amtrak. All E7Bs made the SCL, although they were renumbered respectively ACL 755-B to SCL 657-B thru ACL 764-B to SCL 666-B. All retired in 1972 except 660-B in 71.

  All E8As made the SCL except #547, wrecked and retired in 1965. The E8s were renumbered to make room for ex Seaboard units. Number ACL (2) 500 to 574, (2) 532 to 575, 544 thru 546 to 576 thru 578 and 548 to 579. All units retired in 1972. The acquired E8B units were renumbered from ACL 765-B to SCL 670-B & 766-B to 671-B, both retired in 1972. The acquired E8As were renumbered respectively ACL 549 to SCL 580 thru ACL 556 to SCL 587, all units retired in 1972. 

  Our examples of the E6A and E6B are out of the box Proto 2000

  Our example of the E7A are out of the box Proto 2000

Our example of a black E7 is Custom Model Power

 

Our example of the E8A are out of the box Proto 2000


EMD F Units

 Atlantic Coast Lines mainline freight locomotive became the F Unit. Unlike many railroads ACL was pleased with one builder EMD, which was the prime mover for many years.

   In 1943 Coast Line received their first Sets of FT units from EMC. They were semi-permanently coupled as A/B sets and remained that way until the late fifties when the purple fell to black. The first unit was number 300A-B, thru 323 A-B. These units served ACL well when the last one was retired in 1967, most being retired in the 60s except the (1st) 317A, which was wrecked in 1951.

    The next F Units would be the F2. Unlike the FTs, the F2s had couplers between the A&B units. They also were equipped with steam generators for secondary passenger service. The EMD F2s arrived in 1946 as numbers 324A-B thru 335A-B. All units were retired in the 1960s with the last in 1967. 

    In 1948 ACL received the last model of the F3, which looked almost identical to the F7. They came as A&B sets numbered 336A-B thru 347A-B. All A units were retired in 1968 with the B units being retired in 1969 & 70.  

   The largest fleet to arrive was the F7A. In 1950-51 ACL received units 348A thru 429A, and B units 392B thru 403B. This made the near end for steam now in sight. 2nd Number (317A) arrived to replace 1st 317A. The F7s lasted into SCL with the same numbers, although 317 was not a good number for ACL as 2nd 317 was wrecked in 1957 along with 417, all other units were retired in 1970 & 71.

   The dual-service FP7A arrived in 1951-52. These steam generator equipped units were used in secondary passenger and freight service. ACL numbers were 850 thru 893. The 875 thru 893 were renumbered to 430 thru 448. All units except #855 remained into SCL, #855 was retired in 1962. SCL numbers were 675 thru 698 for ex ACL 850 thru 874, and 316, 318 thru 335 for ex-ACL 430 thru 448. All units retired between 1970-73.  

   The last new car-bodies ACL received were 2 F9As to replace 2nd 317A, and 1st 417 in 1957. These units remained in service into SCL . ACL used the same numbers while SCL renumbered the 2nd 417 to 309. Both units were retired in 1973.

Our examples of the F2A-B are out of the box Athearn/Genesis

F2A and F2B


Our examples of the F3 and F7 are out of the box Athearn/Genesis

Our examples of ACL's Black F7's are Custom Athearn Units

F3 and F7


Our examples of  the FP7 are out of the box Atlas

FP7


EMD Roadswitchers

GP7

   In 1950 ACL received their first road switchers from EMD. These GP7 units were used in local, branch line, and outlying yards. In 1951 units 153-176 were delivered with steam generators for local and stand-by passenger service. Mars lights were standard equipment on both ends for bi-directional service. All later EMD road units both GP and SD continued this practice.

   GP7 numbers; 100-132 purchased in 1950, 133-253 built in 1951. In 1959 C&WC units added #254-274 built 1950. In 1966 CN&L units added #275-279 built 1950-51.

   All ACL GP7s made the SCL merge and renumbered 700-879 although not in order. Units 100-111 became SCL 785-796, 112-176 to 700-764, 177-233 to 797-853, 234-253 to 765-784, 254-279 to 854-879.

   GP7s started retirement in 1977 with many rebuilt into home shop GP16s by SCL and served many more years.

Our examples of the GP7 is a customized Athearn


Second Generation Diesels

EMD

     Atlantic Coast Line entered the next generation of locomotives with EMDs GP30 in 1963. Units were numbers 900-908. Soon to follow was the GP35 later that same year numbers 909-914.

     In 1964 ACL entered EMDs 6-axle market and dynamic brakes with EMDs SD35 numbers 1000-1010, and later received units 1011-1023 in 1965. Also  in 1965 a single SDP35 was received for use on the Dixie Flyer and other secondary passenger trains #550 renumbered to1099 that same year..

     In 1966 the GP40s arrived with numbers 915-929 along with10 SD 45s numbers 1024-1033. These units were ACLs last EMD purchase before the SCL merge. 

     All units went unto the Seaboard Coast Line renumbered as;

GP30s 900-908 to; SCL 1300-1308 all units transferred to L&N in 1976.

GP35s 909-914 to; SCL 1400-1405 all units retired between 1984-85.

GP40s 915-929 to SCL 1500- 1514 and continued into CSX.

SD35s 1000-1023 to SCL 1900-1923 units 1902,03,07,09,11, &19 thru 23 were transferred to L&N in 1977 with all continuing into the CSX era.

SDP35 #550 renumbered 1099 to SCL 600 renumbered 1950 in 1973. Unit transferred to L&N in 1977 to CSX #4540.

SD45s 1024-1033 to; SCL 2000-2009 all retired by CSX in 1989.

 

Our example of a GP30 is a out of the box Proto 2000

Our example of a GP35 is an out of the box Athearn

 

ALCO Century

     ACL ordered Alco C-628s in 1963/64 for use on its western lines the former AB&C but were soon used system wide. Unit numbers; 2000-2010.

In 1965 3 C-630s arrived numbers 2011-2013.

     All units went into SCL renumbered as;

C-628s 2000-2010 to; SCL 2200-2210.

C-630s 2011-2013 to; SCL 2211-2213.

     In 1977 all C-628s and C-630s were transferred to the L&N and retired between 1979-1981.

GE

     ACL received GE U25Cs in 1963/65 for use on the former AB&C lines and soon were found system wide. Units numbered; 3000-3010, 3014-3020. Units U25CU were delivered in 1965 numbers 3011-3013.

     In 1966 ACL received 4 GE U30Cs numbers; 3021-3024.

     In 1967 ACLs last units before the SCL merge were 4 GE U30Bs numbers 975-978.

     All units went into SCL as;

U25Cs 3000-3010, 3014-3020 to; SCL 2100-2110, 2114-2120.

U25CUs 3011-3013 to; SCL 2111-2113.

Both U25Cs & U25CUs all were sold to NdeM in 1980.

U30Cs 3021-3024 to SCL 2121-2124 continued into CSX.

U30Bs 975-978 to; SCL 1700-1703 all retired between 1986-87.

Our Example of the U30B is an out of the box Proto 2000

 


SWITCHERS

     Atlantic Coast Lines first diesel switchers were from Alco and EMC in 1940. The Alco was an HH-1000 numbered 1000, renumbered 600 that same year, and the EMC was a NW2 #601. In 1941 ACL ordered 14 switchers from Baldwin, Alco and EMC soon to become EMD.  In 1942 Baldwin delivered VO-1000s numbers; 606, 607, 608, & 609. Alco delivered S2s numbers; 602, 604, 608, 610, 612, & 614. EMD delivered NW2s numbers; 603, 605, 611, 613, & 615. ACL continued ordering switchers from all three builders throughout WWII, after the war it wasnt until 1950 that Coast Line ordered more switchers and all from EMD. In the 1966 ACL acquired 3 S2s from RF&P ex- 54, 56, & 57 to ACL 44, 45, & 46. In 1967 ACL acquired 11 ex- CB&Q VO-1000s and used with CB&Q numbers and paint 9350, 9355, 9361, 9363, 9366, 9367, 9369, 9370, 9371, 9372, & 9379.

ALCO

HH 1000 built 1940 #1000 renumbered 600 in 1940, to #25 in 1955, retired in 1960.

S2 numbers; 602,604, 610, 612, 614 built in 1942 renumbered; 26, 27, 28, 29, & 30 in 1955. All repowered with EMD 567 in 1956-63, retired in service by SCL between 1975-1981.

S2 numbers; 618, 620, 622, 624, 626, 628, 630, 632, 634, 636, 638, 640, & 642 built in 1944 renumbered 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, & 43 in 1955. All repowered with EMD 567 in 1956-63, retired in service by SCL between 1980-81.

S2 numbers; 44, 45, & 46 acquired from RF&P in 1966 built in 1943-44. Placed in service with RF&P paint relettered Atlantic Coast Line with Alco prime movers. Retired by SCL between 1976-1981.

Baldwin

VO-1000 numbers; 606, 607, 608, & 609 built 1942 renumbered; 10, 11, 12, & 13 in 1955. All repowered with EMD 567 in 1959-61, retired by SCL between 1980-82.

VO-1000 numbers; 616, & 617 built in 1943 renumbered; 14, & 15 in 1955. Both repowered with EMD 567 in 1961. Retired by SCL 1980-81.

VO-1000 numbers; 619, 621, & 623 built in 1944 renumbered 16, 17, & 18 in 1955. Numbers 16 & 18 repowered with EMD 567 in 1961, number 17 retired in 1960. 16, & 18 retired by SCL in 1980.

VO-1000 ex- CB&Q acquired from GE in 1967 used in CB&Q numbers and paint. Units; 9350, 9355, 9361, 9363, 9366, 9367, 9369, 9370, 9371, 9372, & 9379. Retired by SCL with Baldwin prime movers #9370, & 9371 (SCL 1st 92 & 1st 93) in 1968, 9369 (SCL 1st 91) in 1970, all remaining units between 1977-78.

EMD

NW2 number 601 built in 1940, renumbered 600 in 1955 retired by SCL in 1982.

NW2 numbers; 603, 605, 611, 613, & 615 built in 1942 renumbered as follows; 603, & 605 keep original numbers, 611 to 601, 613 to 602, & 615 to 604 in 1955. Retired by SCL between 1981-84.

SW7 numbers; 643-651 built in 1950, renumbered 125-133.  Retired by SCL Between 1981-83.

SW7 717, & 718 acquired from C&WC in 1959 built in 1950. Renumbered 199, & 200. Retired by SCL 1982.

SW9 numbers; 652-716 built in 1951, renumbered 134-198. Retired by SCL between 1981-84,  #165 retired in 1978.

SW9 719, & 720 acquired from C&WC in 1959 built in 1952. Renumbered 201, & 202. Retired by SCL 1982-83.

SW8 numbers; 50-59 built in 1952. Retired by SCL between 1981-83.

Our examples of an SW9 is an out of the box Proto 2000

Our example of a black SW9 is a custom Proto 2000

 

 

Home Up